Assistant Accountant (part-qualified), Richmond, South West London, Surrey
Reports to: Finance Director
Our perfect candidate is …
A part qualified accountant (preferably ACA, ACCA or CIMA), looking for a role which will allow you to grow whilst being supported through the completion of your studies. With at least one year of relevant accounting experience, including experience in purchase and sales ledger, you will have a clear interest in Financial and Management Accounting and a desire to become a qualified Finance Professional. Prepared to undertake a wide range of tasks with equal diligence and enthusiasm, you will be proactive, efficient and very organised. You will be a natural problem-solver, driven to identify opportunities for process improvement and see your ideas through to implementation. Excellent Excel skills is a must and experience with Sage would be a bonus, though it’s not essential.
What might a typical day in the role of Assistant Accountant look like?
Daily tasks will be varied and will range from things like invoicing, supplier payments and petty cash control through to supporting the preparation of budgets and forecasts and preparing the monthly accounts. As we have recently listed on the London Stock Exchange’s AIM market, there will be opportunity to support the Finance Director with associated governance activities and projects. You will support the wider team with finance queries and, as our first port of call for key external contacts such as our payroll provider, bankers and insurers, you can be sure to have plenty of interaction throughout the day.
What sets Crossword Cybersecurity apart?
We are a team of 35 people with offices in Richmond, SW London and Kraków, Poland. This means you will always be close to the action and everyone has an opportunity to contribute to help shape our organisation. Despite our size, we are fortunate to have a very accessible Executive Management Team, brimming with business and industry experience and willing to share it. All this affords some fantastic opportunities for personal development. Find out more about working at Crossword on our career pages: https://www.crosswordcybersecurity.com/working-at-crossword/
Flexibility is valued at Crossword and whilst this role is anticipated to be full time, we are happy to consider flexible working proposals from candidates.
Please see the full role description and candidate specification for this role below along with details of how to apply.
Job Description and Candidate Specification
The Assistant Accountant reports to the Finance Director (FD). This is a key position in this growing business, responsible for the day to day running of Finance for two companies. The role includes accurate record keeping to ensure the integrity of the accounts, and contributing to the production of information for various stakeholders, including the Executive team and Board. The role also includes supporting the FD with Governance and ad hoc projects.
Financial and Management Accounts:
- Preparation of monthly accounts from templates, to agreed deadlines
- Analysing results and explaining variances
- Accruals, prepayments and balance sheet reconciliations
- Calculate KPI information such as utilisation and recoverability
- Support preparation of half yearly, and annual accounts
- Prepare audit deliverables
- Support preparation of business plans, budgets, and forecasts
- VAT returns
- Processing purchase ledger invoices, supplier reconciliations and supplier payments
- Generating sales invoices, posting invoices, and debtor management
- Bank postings and reconciliations, including for one overseas company
- Petty cash control
- Purchase Order management
- Supporting FD with Governance
- Ad hoc projects to support FD and Executive team
- Liaise with external stakeholders e.g. Payroll provider, Auditors, Bankers, Insurers
- Preparation of sales commission calculations
- Communicate payroll data and make payroll related payments
- Help prepare calculations for R&D tax credits
- Minimum of 1 years’ relevant accounting experience, to include purchase and sales ledger experience
- Minimum part qualified ACA/ACCA/CIMA OR fully qualified AAT with a minimum of 2 years’ accounting experience
- An interest in Financial and Management Accounting and a desire to become a Finance Professional
- Proactive, willing to take on new tasks and find solutions
- Able to demonstrate strong problem-solving ability coupled with sound judgement of when to escalate
- Excellent and efficient organisational skills with proven ability to run multiple project/tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines
- A clear and confident communicator with excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
- Great attention to detail
- Ability to forward plan and spot risks, opportunities and threats and propose a course of action accordingly
- Competent in Excel to advanced level
- Demonstrate desire to proactively seek process improvements and establish agreed best practice going forward
- Must have the right to work in the UK
Prior experience of the below would be advantageous but is not essential
- Experience working with Sage
To apply, please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications is Sunday 31 March 2019.